I set a few New Years’ resolutions at the beginning of this year. As the year is drawing to a close, perhaps it is time to evaluate how I’ve done in fulfilling them before I create new ones.
- Finish “Coldfire” and submit to agents. Nope, but I’m pretty close and have researched agents. Hopefully I’ll do this early next year.
- Finish the first draft of the sequel… at least. No dice. The stupid thing isn’t cooperating. I will complete it next year. The ideas are in my head. I just have to stop being a wimp and get the damn thing written.
- Write more short stories. I won’t set an exact number because I know I won’t stick to it. Yes. Using a variety of writing prompts and other random stuff, I’ve written a decent handful of (very) short stories. I’ll count poetry in this section, too, since I didn’t anticipate writing poetry at all.
- Participate in NaNoWriMo, exam schedule permitting. I’m hoping with only four exams this year that it will be possible. Yes. And I have a completed first draft to make up for my failure with Coldfire‘s sequel.
- Finish year twelve (though admittedly this one is inevitable unless I fail all my subjects this year). Yes. Quitting was very tempting, I’m telling you now. I’m glad it’s over.
- Audition for university music programs. Done and done.
- Get into a university on my preference list. Still waiting to find out about this one. I might not even find out until first round offers in January. I do know that I failed my three auditions and my year 12 score isn’t high enough to be accepted into my other two preferences unless miracles happen. So I’ve added more preferences to the list that I’m almost guaranteed to get because the clearly-in scores are all lower than the score I received.
So I was somewhat successful this year. Could’ve done better, could’ve done worse. 2012 is likely going to be a year of submissions. There’s only so long I can keep working on Coldfire before I finally send it out into the world. I can’t keep it locked up forever. How have you guys fared with your resolutions thus far? Or did you not make any? If not, did you have any goals in mind for your writing that you had hoped to accomplish this year?